Brief History

July 2016

 

Only a few short years after Methodism began in America, this church came into being. The year was 1786 when a log structure called Bell’s Meeting House was used by various denominations.

A camp meeting began in December 1801 and ended in January 1802. After that the name was changed to Old Union Church and considered a Methodist place of worship; however, all denominations were still allowed to use the church.

In 1853, a new church was built.

In 1886, one hundred years after the first log church was built, a camp meeting was held with an arbor that would seat 1200; however, the crowd on Sunday was estimated at 3000. Just after the close of service on Monday night, an earthquake came which filled the people with awe.

The third Sunday morning in October of 1931 the church building burned to the ground. The Congregational Church at Sophia allowed Old Union to use their church until a new brick structure was built in 1932. The new structure consisted of a sanctuary and 3 classrooms all of which are part of the present building.

In 1946, Old Union united with Mt. Lebanon Methodist Church in Randleman to form the Mt. Lebanon-Old Union Charge.

In the mid fifties a fellowship hall was built mainly by the men of church with the ladies serving them lunch on Saturday. It was remodeled, a shelter added and in 2004 a large addition added and is used at present for many church activities such as youth group (UMYF), ladies’ group (UMW), men’s group (UMM) and other gatherings of food, fun and fellowship.

In 1973 a new charge was formed which became the Old Union-Worthville Charge.

In 1976 an addition to the church was started which consisted of 6 classrooms and 2 bathrooms. Most of the work was done by the men of the church and the ladies served lunch on Saturdays. This project was completed in 1977.

The second weekend in September of 1986, Old Union had a 3-day celebration to mark 200 years as a church. There was preaching, singing and lot of fellowship.

In the late 1990s the porch of the church was rebuilt and a handicap ramp was added. Stain glass windows were also put in the sanctuary.

In 2011 a new charge was formed which became the Old Union-Fairview Charge.

In 2013 for the first time in recent Old Union History we are not on a charge with another church which means we are not sharing a preacher.  However, our pastor is still a half  time pastor as in the past.

In 2014 a new charge was formed which became the Old Union-Burnett’s Chapel Charge.
 
In 2016 we are not on a charge with another church which means we are not sharing a preacher.  However, our pastor is still a half time pastor as in the past.

 

Today, Old Union is the oldest Methodist Church in Randolph County.

 


943344_502517499797055_1362337624_n

Old Union in the 1880s

SCAN0555

Old Union in 1932

1512717_597724423609695_948459803_n

Old Union today